These gluten free and vegan pumpkin scones are one of the best things I’ve ever made. I KNOW you’ll enjoy them.
Pumpkin Scones (starbucks copycat) | gluten free, vegan
- Baking Sheet
- Silicone Baking Mat
- Mixing bowls
- Rubber Spatula
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour I like Bob's Red mill 1 to 1 mix
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp ginger ground
- 1/4 tsp cloves ground
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter myokos brand preferred
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree canned is fine
- 4 tbsp plant based milk oat, almond, soy, etc.
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed for flax egg
- 3 tbsp water for flax egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp agave syrup or honey or maple syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp plant based milk oat, almond, soy, etc
Pumpkin Glaze (for decorating)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp pumpkin puree for color
- 1 tbsp plant based milk oat, almond, soy, etc
- pinch ginger ground
- pinch cinnamon ground
- pinch nutmeg ground
- Preheat Oven to 425°F (220°C)
- Prep your flax egg. Mix ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp of water and allow it to thicken for 5 minutes.
- Combine gluten free all purpose flour, baking power, baking soda, sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves in food processor or large mixing bowl.
- Mix together well.
- Cut in vegan butter or a pulse in butter using a fold processor.
- In a separate bowl mix together plant based milk with apple cider vinegar first
- Let ACV and PBM sit for 1 minute to allow plant milk to curdle into plant buttermilk
- Then add pumpkin puree, flax egg, vanilla extract and agave to the plant buttermilk
Put It All Together
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold together until well combined.
- Knead dough until it comes together. (it will be sticky)
- Dust a work surface, knife, and your hands (GF flour will work)
- Place the dough on your work surface
- Form into an 8 inch round
- Cut into 8 even pieces
- Place on baking mat or parchment paper covered baking sheet
- Brush the top with plant based milk
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until tops are lightly golden.
- Mix together icing and plant milk until a thick icing forms.
- Mix together sugar, pumpkin, plant milk and spices until an orange icing is formed.
- When the scones are done allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before icing them.
- Glaze with white icing first, covering the entire scone.
- Embellish with pumpkin icing (I usually do zig zags)
- Eat immediately. Will keep in airtight container for up to 3 days.