This mac n cheese recipe was adapted from the hot for food blog. It’s vegan, gluten free, and insanely delicious.
Perfect Mac N Cheese | vegan, gluten free
- 9x13 Baking Pan
- 4 cups elbow macaroni or pasta of choice
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cup oat milk or any plant based milk
- 4 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp miso paste white or red both work
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder (optional)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese shred (optional) I prefer daiya brand
- 1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 5 tbsp vegan parmesan Violife brand has an excellent one
Protein & Veggies
- 4 links beyond sausage hot italian
- 1 head broccoli florets fresh
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C)
- Boil pasta according to instructions on the package.
- Grill Beyond Sausage on frying pan or grill plate
- While the water and sausage is cooking, start making your cheese sauce
- Add cashews, oat milk, and lemon juice to a strong blender (if you do not have a strong blender soak the cashews for at least 20 minutes)
- Taste the cheese sauce base and make sure it's not to "cashew-ey"
- If it is add more lemon juice. If not move on to the next step.
- Add olive oil, seasonings, miso, tomato paste, and nutritional yeast to the blender and blend well.
- Once you have a smooth and creamy sauce add the arrowroot powder and blend again
- Drain pasta.
- Remove beyond sausage from heat and cut into bit size pieces.
Put It All Together
- Put the pasta in the 9x13 baking pan
- Next add cheese sauce
- Next add beyond sausage pieces
- Add Daiya cheddar shreds (optional)
- Finally add your fresh broccoli florets.
- Bake in the oven covered with tinfoil for 20 minutes.
- Shred vegan parmesan.
- Mix vegan parmesan shreds, GF breads crumbs, and italian seasons ina small bowl.
- Remove mac from oven after 20 minutes.
- Remove ton foil coverings
- Add topping to the mac n cheese
- Put back in the oven for 20 more minutes to get the top nice and crunchy.
- Serve immediately. I like topping mine with red pepper flakes.