This vegan brownies recipe was adapted from the legend herself Caitlin Shoemaker over at the FromMyBowl blog. I highly recommend her and this amazing holiday brownie recipe. It’s fudgy, easy, gluten free, and vegan! I hope your enjoy and thanks again Caitlin for such a great recipe.
Candy Cane Brownies (vegan, gluten free, holiday)
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Pan 9x13 or 8x8
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseed for flax egg
- 12 tbsp water for flax egg
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour I like Bob's red mill 1 to 1 mix
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 14 oz cans full fat coconut milk unsweetened
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups dairy free chocolate chips I like enjoy life brand
- 5 candy canes crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Make flax eggs by combining flax meal and water in a small container
- Combined gluten free all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flax eggs, sugars, coconut milk, and peppermint extract to the dry ingredients.
- Combined until mixed well (it may have some small lumps, but that's ok).
- Fold in chocolate chips
Put It All Together
- Pour brownie batter into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper
- Sprinkle half of your crushed candy canes on top of your batter.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes (this varies wildly depending on your oven to keep checking it at 15 minute intervals)
- Once a knife or toothpick comes out clean allow the brownies to chill completely before removing them from the pan.
- Cut into 18 or so individual brownies
- Store in fridge for fudgier brownies and enjoy!