This vegan lentil loaf is a holiday staple, but also makes a delicious quick meal for a weekday. It makes great leftovers and goes well with mashed potatoes and kale salad. It’s vegan, gluten free, and easy!
Vegan Lentil Loaf (gluten free)
- Baking Sheet
- Food processor
- Silicone Baking Mat
- 2 cups cooked green or brown lentils
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, diced crimini or white button
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal, ground
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour I like bob's redmill
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs regular or panko
- 1/4 cup ketchup for topping
- pinch granulated sugar or coconut sugar for topping
- Preheat Oven to 350° (180°C)
- Dice mushrooms, red bell pepper, carrots, celery, garlic and onion.
- Cook lentils according to package instructions
- Saute onions, mushrooms, red bell pepper, carrots, and celery in a large skillet on medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic to tender veggies for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Make Lentil Loaf Dough
- Add cooked veggies, cooked lentils, GF flour, GF breadcrumbs, tomato paste, BBQ sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and flaxseed meal to the food processor.
- Pulse processor until desired it forms a chunky dough (you want some chunks of veggies for texture)
- Form the dough into a loaf shape on top of a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat, parchment paper, or tin foil.
Topping & Baking
- Top loaf with ketchup and bake in the oven for 40 minutes
- Pull out after 40 minutes and sprinkle sugar on top of loaf
- Place loaf back in the oven for 10 minutes or until sugar slightly caramelizes
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes
- Slice and serve immediately.